Saturday 24 August 2013

No really, Don't Starve!

So after some initial scepticism I've made the dive and got into this gothic survivalism game.

I'm extremely glad I did. It's one of those indie games that is perfect in conception and execution with, apparently, solid ongoing support from the developers.

You start as a gentleman scientist with the enviable ability to grow a luxuriant beard (creepiness factor escalated rapidly when I discovered that you could shave and use your beard for fuel) in an initially baffling but extremely vibrant wasteland populated by anthropomorphic pigs and deadly predators.

After a few hours play, I've reached the point where survival has become routine. The game has a steep learning curve but easy player death means that you learn of necessity. My first two deaths related to timing the construction of an evening fire. First I made it too early and forgot to feed it. Next I tried to hold off until the last moment and was caught unsuspecting by sunset. The humiliating losses showed that the game would do me no favours and ensured that I quickly got the hang of fire management.

Anyway it is definitely a game that benefits exploration rather than simply being told about. I need to get back to my game - I'm currently bemoaning placing my science camp so far from the rabbit field  as a treeman chases me and frustrates my attempts to hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment