Wednesday 11 January 2012

New Sherlock, New Girl?

Still in intensive essay writing mode but I've found time to watch some of the new telly programs as are coming out at the moment. It's a reassuring start to the New Year, none of this Post-Christmas lull business. Here are my thoughts - watch out for spoilers:

1) New Girl -

I watched this in a half hour essay break and it was one of the few programs I've ever seen that made me want to cut it short. I'd read a positive Guardian review that was especially fond of the adorable Zooey Deschanel who plays main character Jess.

They turned out to be using that very American definition of 'adorable' which I cannot stand. Kooky characters who always get it wrong, fall over a lot and occasionally break into song are only funny to those with gerbil-level intelligence.

None of the rest of the cast made up for my generalized loathing of Jess. Don't think I'll be watching any more of these any time soon.

2) Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia -

I really enjoyed the opening episode of this new series. Sherlock's ego has not taken a knock between series and Benedict Cumberbatch was as good as ever (New Star Trek villain apparently for film sequel. Excellent!). Lara Pulver was very good as a cameo and her duel of wits with Sherlock was great. Nice tension at the end and I loved the cryptography bit with the planes full of dead people - very Neal Stephenson.

3) Sherlock: The Hounds of Baskerville -

A bit of a let down after the Belgravia episode. Pity as I'd been really looking forward to this one. It's probably one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes stories. Russell Tovey looking very comfortable in his role as the psychologically troubled Henry Knight. For once I actually guessed most of the ending before the big reveal. I was just trying to decide whether it was the friendly GM doctor who had drugged them (possibly in league with the psychiatrist - I thought the hallucinogenic was in Knight's cigarettes) or the nasty one. I don't think the CGI added much to it and the plot seemed a little rushed - even for such a long programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment